Gwyneth Paltrow botches attempt to eat off $29 a week

Ryan Emberley/Invision/APGwyneth Paltrow arrives at the inaugural amfAR Hong Kong gala on Saturday

A week after announcing she would attempt to feed herself on $29 a week, like many people who rely on federal food benefits, actress Gwyneth Paltrow admitted defeat.

“I would give myself a C-,” she confessed Thursday on her Goop lifestyle website. Paltrow’s food plan for the week — which contained staples of life such as a clump of cilantro, one chili pepper and seven limes — may have contributed to her failure. “As I suspected, we only made it through about four days, when I personally broke and had some chicken and fresh vegetables (and in full transparency, half a bag of black licorice),” Paltrow reported.

Paltrow took an utterly incompetent stab at living like the proletariat after chef Mario Batali issued her the challenge in hopes of raising money and awareness for the Food Bank of New York City.

Despite Paltrow’s rather generous C- assessment of herself, a source says the platinum-collared actress splurged on a luxurious meal at a Los Angeles restaurant earlier this week. “It was a [pre fixe] menu, and the tickets were $80,” an insider told E! News.

WIKILEAKS EXPOSES SONY

Sony’s hacking problems aren’t over yet. On Thursday, WikiLeaks put hundreds of thousands of emails and documents from last year’s crippling cyberattack against Sony Pictures Entertainment into an online archive.

The website founded by Julian Assange said its database includes more than 170,000 emails from Sony Pictures and a subsidiary, plus more than 30,000 other documents.

Sony Pictures blasted WikiLeaks for creating the archive, saying the website was helping the hackers disseminate stolen information, but Assange was unapologetic.

“This archive shows the inner workings of an influential multinational corporation,” Assange said. “It is newsworthy and at the center of a geo-political conflict. It belongs in the public domain. WikiLeaks will ensure it stays there.”

QUICK TAKES

Can you sing, dance, and look great in sequins? “Beach Blanket Babylon” is holding an open audition April 25 for male and female performers. Despite the show’s notoriously huge headgear, audition organizers say “no previous experience with large hat balancing and wig wearing required.” … Former rap mogul Suge Knight has been ordered to stand trial on charges of murder and attempted murder after allegedly running down two men.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Raiders fullback Jamize Olawale is 26. … Actress Jennifer Garner (“Dallas Buyers Club”) is 43. … Rapper Redman is 45. … Actress Olivia Hussey (“Romeo and Juliet”) is 64. — Staff, wire report Got scoops or Bay Area celebrity gossip? Email scoop@sfexaminer.com.

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Increased enforcement drives up citations for Valencia bike lane violations

If you ticket, they will come. The City increased traffic cops along… Continue reading

New tenant protections legislation being introduced

Advocates say many landlords skirt buyout laws by failing to report or using aggressive tactics

City could try to stop Lyft from dropping cash payments for bikeshare

A city supervisor hopes to force Lyft to keep accepting cash for… Continue reading

SF judge holds GOP House candidate Omar Navarro on stalking charges

Navarro is accused of his threatening ex-girlfriend: ‘I’m going to have antifa come after your family’

Most Read