This week in The City, celebrate with cabaret tunes, graphic novelists, a family ice show and fine art — or attend a seasonal ritual.
Sunday Oct. 21
Days of the Dead
Food, dance, crafts, music and traditional Meso-American art accompany the annual exhibit.
- WHEN: Noon to 4:30 p.m. today for celebration; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesdays-Sundays for exhibit; closes Dec. 9
- WHERE: Oakland Museum, 1000 Oak St., Oakland
- PRICE: $6 to $12
- INFO: (510) 318-8400, www.museumca.org
Monday Oct. 22
The soap star from “As the World Turns” and “Days of Our Lives” also sings; he brings his cabaret act “In the Still of the Night: The Music of Cole Porter” to The City.
- WHEN: 8 p.m.
- WHERE: Rrazz Room, Hotel Nikko, 222 Mason St., S.F.
- PRICE: $30
- INFO: (415) 394-1189, www.therrazzroom.com
Tuesday Oct. 23
Chris Ware and Charles Burns
Two giants of the graphic novel talk about their new books: Ware’s “Building Stories,” a box of minibooks about life inside a Chicago apartment building, and Burns’ “The Hive,” set in 1970s Seattle.
- WHEN: 7 p.m.
- WHERE: Jewish Community Center, 3200 California St., S.F.
- PRICE: Free; reservations required
- INFO: (415) 292-1233, www.jccsf.org/arts
Wednesday Oct. 24
Disney on Ice: 100 Years of Magic
Dozens of characters from 18 Disney tales — including “Finding Nemo,” “Mulan” and “Toy Story” — appear in the family arena show.
- WHEN: 7:30 p.m. Wednesday-Thursday, 10:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m., 3 and 6:30 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
- WHERE: HP Pavilion, 525 W. Santa Clara St., San Jose
- PRICE: $15 to $80
- INFO: (800) 745-3000, www.ticketmaster.com
Thursday Oct. 25
The acclaimed artist known for textured, mixed-media pieces speaks about “The Early Works: 1974-1986” at an opening reception.
- WHEN: 6 to 9 p.m. Thursday; 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays; 1 to 5 p.m. Sundays; closes Nov. 25
- WHERE: Paul Mahder Gallery, 3378 Sacramento St., S.F.
- PRICE: Free
- INFO: (415) 474-7707, www.paulmahdergallery.com
Friday Oct. 26
Peaches Christ hosts Good Vibrations’ seventh annual erotic short film competition; the event begins with a burlesque party and ends with a $1,500 prize for the winner.
- WHEN: 7 p.m. party, 8 p.m. screening
- WHERE: Castro Theatre, 429 Castro St., S.F.
- PRICE: $10 party; $10 screening
- INFO: (415) 621-6120, www.castrotheatre.com
Saturday Oct. 27
Spiral Dance Ritual
Reclaiming Spiral Dance honors the living and the dead in the 33rd annual ritual for witches’ and pagans’ new year, with art, music, poetry and dance.
- WHEN: 6 p.m. doors; 7:30 p.m. ritual
- WEHRE: Kezar Pavilion, 755 Stanyan St., S.F.
- PRICE: $20 to $100
- INFO: www.reclaimingspiraldance.org
S.F. Renaissance Voices
Don Scott Carpenter conducts an All Saints Day program with a mass by Tomás Luis de Victoria.
- WHEN: 7:30 p.m.
- WHERE: Seventh Avenue Presbyterian Church, 1329 Seventh Ave., S.F.
- PRICE: $20 to $25
- INFO: (415) 664-2543, www.sfrv.org