Twinkling light displays, massive Christmas trees, skating, crafts and shopping round out the Bay Area's season slate of festivities.
Global Winter Wonderland
Great America theme park is lighting up various rides in a kaleidoscopic lantern show for the holidays. A seasonal laser light show and entertainment by acrobats and kung fu artists from China round out special programming at the park.
- When: Select dates, Nov. 23-Jan. 1
- Where: Great America, 4701 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara
- Contact: (888) 598-9035, www.santaclara.org/winterwonderland
Pier 39 Tree Lighting
Interactive exhibits, live holiday music and singalongs accompany the annual lighting celebration of the 60-foot tree, at 6 p.m.
- When: Noon to 6:30 p.m. Sunday
- Where: Pier 39, Beach Street at The Embarcadero, S.F.
- Contact: (415) 421-2259, www.pier39.com
Turkey Trail Trot
Now in its 10th year, the annual walk-run event begins with a children’s 100-meter gobbler chase. Turkey and pilgrim costumes are encouraged.
- When: 8 a.m. Nov. 22
- Where: Golden Gate Park Polo Fields, near 36th Avenue and Fulton Street, S.F.
- Contact: www.turkeytrailtrot.com
Family Cardmaking Workshop
Art teachers demonstrate block printing, photo transfers, painting and drawing at the holiday craft event.
- When: 10 a.m. to noon Dec. 1
- Where: Children’s Art Center, Building C, Fort Mason, Marina Boulevard and Buchanan Street, S.F.
- Contact: (415) 771-0292, www.childrensartcenter.org
Union Street Fantasy of Lights
Union Street merchants kick off a month of holiday festivities, including seasonal lights, face painters, balloon artists and a visit from Santa and his elves at the Metro Theater, 2055 Union St., at 5:30 p.m.
- When: 3 to 7 p.m. Dec. 1
- Where: Union Street between Van Ness Avenue and Steiner Street, S.F.
- Contact: www.unionstreetsf.com
Holiday Traditions from Around the World
The San Mateo County History Museum hosts a free crafts event for children, who can learn how to make holiday items from Germany, the Philippines, England, Italy, Japan and Mexico.
- When: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 1
- Where: 2200 Broadway, Redwood City
- Contact: (650) 299-0104, www.historysmc.org
The locally produced arts and crafts show, in its sixth year, hosts a holiday edition featuring quality handmade goods, DIY workshops and a raffle.
- When: 11 a.m to 6 p.m. Dec. 1-2
- Where: Concourse Exhibition Center, East Hall, 620 Seventh St., S.F.
- Contact: www.bazaarbizarre.org
Muir Beach Quilters’ Arts Fair
The free juried show in Marin features exceptional arts and crafts, free fun for children in a gingerbread attic and a gourmet buffet.
- When: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 1; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 2
- Where: Muir Beach Community Center, 19 Seascape Drive, Muir Beach
- Contact: www.muirbeach.com
Half Moon Bay Night of Lights
Festivities include caroling, roasted chestnuts, eggnog and a tree-lighting ceremony in Mac Dutra Park followed by children adorned in twinkling lights marching down Main Street.
- When: 6 to 9 p.m. Dec. 7
- Where: Main and Kelly streets, Half Moon Bay
- Contact: (650) 726-8380, firstname.lastname@example.org
The San Francisco Museum and Historical Society hosts a festively decorated high tea in the gilded Belle Epoque counting room at The Old Mint.
- When: Noon and 2:30 p.m. Dec. 7
- Where: Old Mint, 88 Fifth St., S.F.
- Contact: (415) 537-1105, www.sfhistory.org