It’s that time of year when choirs kick into high gear with songs of the season, both religious and popular. As is the tradition, many choral events are participatory.
For the 35th year, the Grammy Award-winning male choir performs a joyful Christmas show.
- When: 8 p.m. Dec. 15 and Dec. 23
- Where: St. Ignatius Church, University of San Francisco, 650 Parker St., S.F.
- Contact: (415) 392-4400, www.cityboxoffice.com
Sacred and secular tunes from Slavic, Baltic, Balkan, Jewish and Bosnian-Muslim traditions make up women’s vocal ensemble KITKA’s diverse holiday music program.
- When: 8 p.m. Dec. 8
- Where: Old First Presbyterian Church, 1751 Sacramento St., S.F.
- Contact: (415) 474-1608, www.oldfirstconcerts.org
Songs of the Season
Donna Sachet’s popular holiday cabaret show is now in its 20th year, benefiting the AIDS Emergency Fund.
- When: 8 p.m. Nov. 25-28
- Where: Rrazz Room, Hotel Nikko, 222 Mason St., S.F.
- Contact: (415) 558-6999, www.songsoftheseason.net
GLIDE Annual Holiday Festival/Jam
“Doin’ Good,” the Tenderloin charity’s 2012 holiday show, stars POPLYFE, Eion Harrington, the GLIDE Ensemble and Change Band and surprise guests.
- When: 7 p.m. Dec. 6
- Where: Warfield, 982 Market St., S.F.
- Contact: (800) 745-3000, www.thewarfieldtheatre.com
Help is on the Way for the Holidays
The annual benefit for the Richmond/ERMET Aids Foundation features touring casts of “The Book of Mormon” and “The Lion King,” Mary Wilson, Tim Hockenberry, Bruce Vilanch, Paula West, Spencer Day and Connie Champagne.
- When: 7:30 p.m. Dec. 10
- Where: Marines’ Memorial Theatre, 609 Sutter St., S.F.
- Contact: (415) 273-1620, www.helpisontheway.org
Colors of Christmas
Soulful singers Peabo Bryson, Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr., James Ingram and Stephanie Mills appear at the San Francisco Symphony’s annual holiday pops event.
- When: 8 p.m. Dec. 10-12
- Where: Davies Symphony Hall, 201 Van Ness Ave., S.F.
- Contact: (415) 864-6000, www.sfsymphony.org
Songs of Kwanzaa
Musician Q.B. Williams hosts a participatory family show that includes Kwanzaa history, singing and playing instruments, and a craft project: handmade Kwanzaa cards embedded with seeds for planting.
- When: 2 to 4 p.m. Dec. 15
- Where: Museum of African Diaspora, 685 Mission St., S.F.
- Contact: (415) 358-7200, www.moadsf.org
California Pops Orchestra
“Pops Home for the Holidays,” features Pierce Brandt & the Honeybee Trio playing seasonal favorites and leading a singalong for all ages.
- When: 3 p.m. Dec. 16
- Where: Smithwick Theatre, Foothill College, 12345 El Monte Road, Los Altos Hills
- Contact: (650) 856-8432, www.californiapopsorchestra.com