Supervisor John Avalos was a prominent supporter of a Nov. 8 measure that would have allowed 16- and 17-year-olds the right to vote in municipal elections. The measure lost by a narrow margin. (Emma Chiang/Special to S.F. Examiner)

Supervisor John Avalos was a prominent supporter of a Nov. 8 measure that would have allowed 16- and 17-year-olds the right to vote in municipal elections. The measure lost by a narrow margin. (Emma Chiang/Special to S.F. Examiner)

SF youth voting activists pledge to try again in 2020

After a narrow loss at the polls earlier this month, San Francisco youth leaders said they plan to reintroduce a ballot measure in 2020 to lower the voting age in local elections.

The activists behind Proposition F, which almost passed Nov. 8 with 48 percent of the vote in favor when 50 percent was needed, said in a statement Tuesday that they will bring the issue back to the polls in the next election cycle.

Prop. F would have allowed 16- and 17-year-old citizens the right to vote on local issues.

“The success of this campaign affirmed that young people are capable of being engaged in city politics and will be engaged when policies are relevant to them,” Supervisor John Avalos said in a statement.

Avalos said low voter turnout across the nation this election shows the need for ballot measures like Prop. F “that encourage political engagement and civic education at an early age.”

Six months before the election, the ballot measure was polling at just 36 percent in favor.

San Francisco Unified School District Board of Education President Matt Haney said the school board will make sure students continue to “receive a robust civics education.”

“We need to do more as a country to inspire and educate young people to be active citizens,” Haney said in a statement. “San Francisco will take a national lead on this effort, inspired by all the youth that made this their issue over the last few months.”electionsJohn AvalosMatt HaneySan Franciscoyouth voting

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Gov. Gavin Newsom gave an update on COVID-19 cases on Thursday Nov. 3, 2020. (Examiner screenshot)
Newsom announces statewide stay-at-home order tied to availability of hospital beds

Order will take effect in Bay Area when intensive care unit capacity falls below 15 percent

Photo by Abalone Runner/ <a href="https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74406455" target="_blank">CC BY-SA 4.0</a>
Former Newsom spokesman Nathan Ballard facing domestic violence, child abuse charges

Prominent Bay Area political strategist Nathan Ballard is facing domestic violence and… Continue reading

Construction crews work on new red bus rapid transit lanes on Van Ness Avenue on Thursday, Dec. 3, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFMTA board scrutinizes Van Ness BRT spending

Proposed contract modification would allocate $2.6 million for pedestrian monitors

Mayor London Breed said “I need to hold myself to a higher standard” in response to criticism of a recent meal at a Napa Valley restaurant. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Breed calls criticism for French Laundry trip ‘fair’

Mayor said she regrets that actions ‘distracted’ from public health message as COVID-19 cases rise

City Administrator Naomi Kelly said Wednesday that the allegations against her husband were “based on the word of a liar.” (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City Administrator Naomi Kelly takes leave after feds charge husband

High-ranking official under scrutiny over 2016 China trip

Most Read