The suspected gunman in a shootout with police that injured six people including a minor and an officer at an Excelsior District barber shop on Wednesday has since died, according to San Francisco police.
Jehad Eid, a 21-year-old Suisun City resident, died at the hospital after allegedly exchanging gunfire with officers at the Amazon Barber Shop on Geneva Avenue and London Street.
Police spokesperson Gisselle Linanne could not confirm Thursday whether Eid died by police bullets, but said he succumbed to his injuries at San Francisco General Hospital.
“Woke up this morning losing my brother,” Tariq Eid wrote Thursday on Twitter. “I can’t even think no more I miss you jehad why you gotta leave so fast on us I love you and I’m sorry.”
The night before, he wrote “Allah please have my brother pull through.”
Gunfire rang out at the barber shop after officers responded to a report of a man with a gun on Amazon Avenue between Paris and Lisbon streets at 4:40 p.m. Police tracked down Eid to the barber shop several blocks away.
Police have offered minimal details on what happened inside, but witness video showed the aftermath.
A police officer crawled down the sidewalk to safety on hands and knees as officers sheltered for cover behind patrol vehicles. In the doorway of a nearby pharmacy, a victim appeared to clutch his leg in pain.
The shootout injured six people in total including an officer and a minor. The officer and two others are expected to survive. Another person who was shot is in critical condition. Police are not releasing the condition of the minor.
Eid had a history of arrests in the Bay Area, including a conviction in San Francisco for an armed robbery.
Eid pleaded guilty to a robbery charge stemming from his arrest at age 18 in May 2015, according to the District Attorney’s Office. He served 431 days in custody and was placed on probation for five years.
More recently, Contra Costa County prosecutors charged Eid with felony possession of a dirk or dagger for allegedly carrying a machete, according to District Attorney’s Office spokesperson Scott Alonso. The charge stemmed from his arrest by the Concord Police Department on Jan. 22, 2017.
Alonso called the incident a “family situation” involving his father.
“It wasn’t about brandishing it, he was just carrying it,” Alonso said. “There would have been additional charges if he were brandishing it.”
Alonso said prosecutors reduced the charge to a misdemeanor and Eid pleaded no contest on April 17, 2017. He was sentenced to 168 days in custody but released on time served having spent 85 days behind bars.
Eid was on probation at the time of his death, having been placed on probation for one year.
The police shooting is currently under investigation by various city agencies. The San Francisco Police Department holds town hall meetings to provide more information within 10 days of the police shooting.
This was the third police shooting in San Francisco so far in 2018 and the second fatal shooting of the year. On March 6, police shot and killed Jesus Delgado-Duarte after the 19-year-old man fired at officers from the trunk of a car.
In each case this year, police have alleged that the suspect had a gun. The suspect was not injured in the first police shooting.
Woke up this morning losing my brother, I can’t even think no more I miss you jehad why you gotta leave so fast on us I love you and I’m sorry pic.twitter.com/149fIYyQWA
— Tariq Eid (@cityboy_tariq) March 22, 2018
Read more criminal justice news on the Crime Ink page in print. Follow us on Twitter: @sfcrimeink