The Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the death of a 14-year-old girl who died at a sleepover after drinking a soda containing an unknown substance.
The girl was found dead Sunday morning on the floor of a bedroom at her home on Foothill Ranch Road, a rural road near Mark West Springs Road north of Santa Rosa, sheriff’s Lt. Steve Brown said.
Three other girls at the sleepover also became ill after drinking the soda, which the girl who died had passed around, Brown said.
The girls became violently ill and blamed it on food poisoning, but it was later learned that the soda contained an undetermined substance, Brown said.
The sheriff’s office responded to the death at 9 a.m. Sunday, Brown said.
Investigators contacted the parents of the three other girls and urged them to take their children to a hospital, Brown said.