Two accused in killing of San Bruno father in court 

The alleged killers of a 23-year-old father in San Bruno botched their attempt to dispose of the dad’s nearly 300-pound body after failing to lift it into a car trunk, prosecutors say.

Brandon David Thompson, 26, and Nicholas Jose Vargas, 24, were set to enter their pleas Wednesday on charges connected to the grisly murder of Christopher Chastain in a Cypress Avenue home on April 10. The case was continued to May 2 after Vargas said he was still in the process of retaining an attorney.

Vargas allegedly beat Chastain with a pipe wrench and Thompson is accused of stabbing him in the home where Vargas’ parents live. In an attempt to dispose of the body, San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said the men dragged the nearly 300-pound body “outside and down the driveway, leaving a trail of blood for police to find.”

The effort to dispose of the body failed when the suspects could not get Chastain’s body into the trunk, Wagstaffe said. Cops said they found one of Chastain’s shoes in the trunk.

Thompson, a parolee, fled on public transit after allegedly giving up on the body disposal job, Wagstaffe said.

Vargas, who had been staying in the Cypress Avenue home with his parents, “went upstairs, woke up his parents and said, ‘You know what, something’s gone wrong and I need help,’” Wagstaffe said. Vargas’ father called 911, he said.

Prosecutors have yet to reveal a motive for the murder of Chastain, a San Bruno resident and father of a 3-year-old boy.

Thompson and Vargas were scheduled to enter their pleas Wednesday in Redwood City Felony Court. The men remain in custody on no bail status, Wagstaffe said.

maldax@sfexaminer.com

Pin It
Favorite

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Comments are closed.

Monday, Sep 15, 2014

Videos

Related to Crime & Courts

© 2014 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation