Suspect in mugging that left man shot in the face pleads not guilty 

The man accused of shooting a person in the face during a brutal mugging in the Bayview District pleaded not guilty on Friday to a host of charges, including attempted murder.

Police said Charles Sullivan, 57, was identified in a photo lineup by the mugging victim – even though the victim had been shot in the face.

The victim, a 45-year-old man, likely knew Sullivan, a convicted felon, police added.

The robbery occurred just before 2 a.m. on Feb. 13. The victim was walking near Third Street and Palou Avenue when he turned the corner and encountered the gunman, police spokesman Sgt. Michael Andraychak said.

The suspect asked the victim for money, but the victim said he didn’t have any. The suspect then shot the victim in the face, according to the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office.

The suspect robbed the victim anyway, prosecutors said. The contents of the victim’s wallet were missing after the robbery, police said, though it was not immediately clear if the wallet was empty as a result of the mugging.

Sullivan was arrested a few blocks away from the crime scene, police said. Cops found a handgun nearby, police said.

Along with attempted murder, Sullivan faces a host of other charges including assault with a firearm, robbery, and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

The case was continued to March 12 to set the preliminary hearing, prosecutors said.

maldax@sfexaminer.com

Follow The San Francisco Examiner’s crime blog, Law & Disorder, on Twitter @sflawdisorder.

Pin It
Favorite

Speaking of...

Thursday, Feb 26, 2015

Videos

Related to Crime & Courts

© 2015 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation