San Francisco student hands out rat poison to classmates 

As many as seven middle school students were transported to the hospital after ingesting rat poison given to them by a peer, according to San Francisco Unified School District officials.

All seven students – boys and girls between the ages of 10 and 12 - were transported to area hospitals and are in stable condition, according to fire officials

The San Francisco Fire Department was called to Martin Luther King Junior Academic Middle School around 12:08 p.m. Thursday for reports of the students ingesting rat poison. The first fire engine was on scene three minutes later.

It is unknown how long it took the students to report the poison to school officials.

One student allegedly invited other students to eat the poisonous cube as candy, according to a released statement by San Francisco Unified School District officials.

A teacher was alerted of the situation and contacted poison control, district officials stated.

It seems only two children actually ate the poison, while other students apparently licked it, Fire Department spokeswoman Lt. Mindy Talmadge said.

None of the students was showing any symptoms of poisoning, but were taken to the hospital as a precaution so doctors could evaluate them, Talmadge said.

“The amount (consumed) was so miniscule that we're not expecting them to have any symptoms at all,” she said.

The middle school is located in the Portola neighborhood of San Francisco, with 530 students enrolled.

akoskey@sfexaminer.com

Bay City News contributed to this report.

Pin It
Favorite

More by Andrea Koskey

Saturday, Apr 18, 2015

Videos

Related to Education

© 2015 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation