Ramos ‘can’t imagine’ pain he caused, widow tells court 

click to enlarge Judge Charles Haines said he'd consider allowing Edwin Ramos to speak at his sentencing hearing on June 11. - COURTESY PHOTO ABC7
  • Courtesy Photo ABC7
  • Judge Charles Haines said he'd consider allowing Edwin Ramos to speak at his sentencing hearing on June 11.

Her hands trembling and voice shaking, the matriarch of the Bologna family confronted the man convicted last month of killing her husband and two of her children.

“I wish just once you would take responsibility for your role in this incident,” Danielle Bologna told 25-year-old Edwin Ramos at a court hearing Monday. “My family has really been put through the worst tragedy imaginable.”

With a mixture of tears and rage, Bologna explained how her family has tried to cope with the June 22, 2008, Excelsior district murders, in which her husband, Anthony Bologna, 48, and sons Michael, 20, and Matthew, 16, were shot in their car on the way home from a family picnic. She said the family now marks their birthdays at the cemetery.

“I lost my family, my life in San Francisco, and our house and all the memories we shared in our home,” Danielle Bologna told Ramos. “My pain is so deep you can’t even imagine.”

Anthony Bologna’s sister and Danielle Bologna’s 14-year-old daughter also spoke at the hearing.

Ramos — who testified at the trial that another man he had been driving with had unexpectedly opened fire on the family — asked to speak at Monday’s emotional hearing, but was denied.

“This is not the time,” Judge Charles Haines said, adding that he would “consider” allowing Ramos to speak at his sentencing, which was rescheduled for June 11 at his attorneys’ request.

Ramos’ attorneys said they are preparing to file a motion for a new trial. They said that in their own interviews with jurors after the verdict, some seemed confused about the law.

“We’ve had jurors come forward who said that they regret rendering the first-degree murder verdict, and had they understood the law, they would never have convicted on first-degree murder,” said attorney Andrea Lindsay.

“We’ve got two so far.”

After a four-month trial, the jury convicted Ramos on May 9 of three counts of first-degree murder with special circumstances that the shootings were carried out for the purposes of the MS-13 criminal street gang. They hung on a charge that Ramos actually fired the gun.

Prosecutors argued, based on a surviving Bologna son’s account, that Ramos was the shooter. It’s also believed that Ramos had mistaken the Bolognas for rival gang members.

He is facing life in prison without the possibility of parole.

aburack@sfexaminer.com

About The Author

Ari Burack

Pin It
Favorite
Sunday, Jan 25, 2015

Videos

Related to Crime & Courts

© 2015 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation