A Caltrain struck and killed a person in Burlingame early Monday morning, causing major delays, a Caltrain spokeswoman said.
The northbound train struck the person, identified by the coroner’s office as a 39-year-old San Francisco man, near the Oak Grove Avenue pedestrian crossing around 6:20 a.m., the transit agency said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
As of 8:25 a.m., train tracks were reopened in both directions and trains were running at maximum speed. Riders are still facing delays of 30 to 90 minutes, the agency said.
A SamTrans bus bridge is in place from the Caltrain Millbrae Station to the San Mateo Station. Both SamTrans and BART are honoring Caltrain tickets.
There was no estimate as to when normal service would be restored. However, the Martin Luther King Jr. Freedom Train is expected to leave as scheduled at 9:30 a.m. from the San Jose Diridon Station, Caltrain said.
This was the second Caltrain-related fatality this year. Last year, 11 people died in Caltrain-related incidents, and 19 the previous year.