Construction crews working on a sewer line struck a 2-inch steel gas line in San Bruno causing a gas leak and evacuation of surrounding streets.
The broken pipe was reported just after 1 p.m. Tuesday afternoon on the 500 block of Chestnut Avenue, according to Fire Dispatch of San Mateo County.
As a precaution – and due to the strong smell – the street and some surrounding houses were evacuated as a precaution, San Bruno Mayor Jim Ruane said.
Ruane said the leak turned out to be fairly small.
“As you can imagine, in San Bruno we respond very aggressively,” Ruane said.
The incident is roughly two miles from the site of a gas main explosion that occurred in the Crestmoor Neighborhood in September 2010, killing eight people and destroying 38 homes.
North County Fire crews and PG&E officials are on scene inspecting the break.
The leak was capped by 2 p.m. and PG&E crews will work to repair the line by 6 p.m., according to PG&E spokesman Andrew Sovall.
During repairs, seven customers will be without gas service.