Caltrain death likely a suicide, spokeswoman says 

A 19-year-old man was likely committing suicide when a southbound Caltrain struck and killed him in Palo Alto early Thursday morning, the transit agency said.

The Palo Alto resident, who has not yet been identified, was struck by the last southbound train of the night around 1:20 a.m. , Caltrain spokeswoman Christine Dunn said.  He was hit about a half-mile north of the California Avenue station, she said.

It is a fenced-in area with no vehicle or pedestrian crossings, Dunn said. Emergency crews had to cut through the fence to get to the body.

“We don’t know how he gained access to the right-of-way,” she said. “It had to be a deliberate action.”

Dunn said the fences separated the backyards of homes and a park.

“In light of the fatalities in Palo Alto in 2009, we just want to assure everyone that he was not a high school student in Palo Alto,” Dunn said.

Last year, 11 people died in Caltrain-related incidents, and 19 the previous year. This was the first of 2011.

maldax@sfexaminer.com

Pin It
Favorite

Latest in Crime & Courts

Sunday, Dec 28, 2014

Videos

© 2014 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation