BART had no plans to beef up security WEdnesday in the wake of reports that its officers will not face criminal charges for the shooting death of a 45-year-old man last summer.
The San Francisco District Attorney’s Office found that Officers James Crowell and Myron Lee acted “lawfully in self-defense” in the shooting death of Charles Hill at the Civic Center BART Station on July 3.
That shooting prompted a series of protests, which were further exacerbated by the agency’s decision to shut down cell phone service in four downtown stations to quell a planned gathering.
However, BART has not received word so far of any protests planned for Wednesday at its transit stations, said Officer Era Jenkins, spokeswoman for the agency’s police department. As a result, the department has no plans to beef up security, although that could change if details emerge of a planned gathering, Jenkins said.
A group did say it planned a gathering Wednesday evening in Oakland at Frank Ogawa Plaza outside City Hall to protest the shooting.