Alleged sexual abuse victim cleared in priest attack 

click to enlarge A jury in San Jose acquitted William Lynch on Thursday of two felony counts in connection with his 2010 attack on the Jesuit priest he said molested him during a camping trip more than 30 years ago. - COURTESY PHOTO
  • Courtesy Photo
  • A jury in San Jose acquitted William Lynch on Thursday of two felony counts in connection with his 2010 attack on the Jesuit priest he said molested him during a camping trip more than 30 years ago.

A jury in San Jose acquitted William Lynch on Thursday of two felony counts in connection with his 2010 attack on the Jesuit priest he said molested him during a camping trip more than 30 years ago.

Three female and nine male jurors found the 44-year-old not guilty on felony charges of assault causing great bodily injury and elder abuse, but were hung on the lesser charge of simple assault.

The charges stemmed from Lynch’s May 10, 2010, assault at the Los Gatos retirement home of the Rev. Jerold Lindner, then 65. Lynch said the Jesuit priest raped him at the age of 7 and also forced him to perform sexual acts with his brother, who was then 4 years old.

Taking the stand last week, Lynch described how the abuse and Lindner’s alleged threats against reporting the molestation ruined his life, driving him to alcohol abuse and depression.

Lynch testified that he only visited the Sacred Heart Jesuit Center where Lindner lived in an attempt to  gain some closure, and to ask the priest to sign documents confirming the abuse.

Lynch told the jury that during that visit, Lindner leered at him the same way he had while molesting Lynch as a child, prompting the attack.

About The Author

Bay City News

Pin It
Favorite

Speaking of...

More by Bay City News

Latest in Crime & Courts

Friday, May 22, 2015

Videos

Related to Crime & Courts

© 2015 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation