Alcohol and 'death by misadventure' killed Amy Winehouse 

click to enlarge Amy Winehouse had lethal amounts of alcohol in her blood the night of her death, a British coroner ruled Wednesday. (Getty Images file photo) - AMY WINEHOUSE HAD LETHAL AMOUNTS OF ALCOHOL IN HER BLOOD THE NIGHT OF HER DEATH, A BRITISH CORONER RULED WEDNESDAY. (GETTY IMAGES FILE PHOTO)
  • Amy Winehouse had lethal amounts of alcohol in her blood the night of her death, a British coroner ruled Wednesday. (Getty Images file photo)
  • Amy Winehouse had lethal amounts of alcohol in her blood the night of her death, a British coroner ruled Wednesday. (Getty Images file photo)

Not that her multitudes of fans and followers, or anyone, for that matter, is surprised, official reports are in: Amy Winehouse drank herself to death.

The Grammy-winning soul diva and poster girl for hard living died with empty vodka bottles in her room and lethal amounts of alcohol in her blood — more than five times the British drunken-driving limit, a British coroner ruled Wednesday.

According to The Associated Press, coroner Suzanne Greenaway gave a verdict of “death by misadventure,” saying the singer died of accidental alcohol poisoning when she resumed drinking after weeks of abstinence.

The 27-year-old, who for years fought a public battle with drug and alcohol problems, was found dead July 23 at her London home.

Her parents attended Wednesday’s hearing but did not speak to reporters. In a statement, spokesman Chris Goodman said it was a relief to the family “to finally find out what happened to Amy.”

“The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time,” he said.

About The Author

Kitty Raymond

Pin It
Favorite

More by Kitty Raymond

Sunday, Jan 25, 2015

Videos

© 2015 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation