Proofs of apartheid:
* Israel has a segregated school system. One for Jewish residents and one for non-Jewish students. The state pays more than $1,00 per Jewish student but only $190 per Arab student (2009 figures).
* Palestinian citizens of Israel are prohibited from living in certain areas, moving into certain apartment buildings and are under-represented in all levels of government.
* Bedouin citizens of Israel, living in unrecognized villages, lack schools, health care clinics, roads, water and electricity.
* Palestinian residents of East Jersualem - though they pay the same in taxes as their Jewish counterparts - lack major infrastructures, such as waste hauling, mail delivery and sewer lines.
* Israel utilizes a segregated judicial system for Palestinians in the West Bank. Palestinians go through the military court system, while Jewish settlers, living illegally in the West Bank, have a civil court system.
* Roads and public transportation, i.e., buses and trains, are segregated.
* There are dozens of discriminatory laws in practice in Israel, according to Adalah, the Legal Center for Arab Minority Rights in Israel.
* Palestinian citiens of Israel are not allowed to bring their spouses from the West Bank or Gaza to live with them in Israel.
The San Francisco Examiner
Website powered by Foundation