A woman identified as the suspect in Tuesday’s YouTube headquarters shooting had visited a local gun range shortly before, San Bruno police said Wednesday.
Nasim Najafi Aghdam, 39, had been reported as a missing person in San Diego on April 2, and was listed as missing since March 31, San Bruno Police Chief Ed Barberini said Wednesday at a press briefing.
However, she was found sleeping in her car around 1:40 a.m. by Mountain View police on Tuesday and removed from the missing persons list after speaking with officers there.
Aghdam allegedly shot a man and two women in a courtyard area at the YouTube building at 901 Cherry St. in San Bruno before taking her own life. She used a semiautomatic handgun legally registered to her in the attack.
SEE RELATED: Suspect dead, 3 injured in YouTube HQ shooting
Police believe she was upset with the policies and practices of YouTube, and said that she did not appear to know anyone at the company or to be targeting any particular individuals.
On a website that appears to have belonged to Aghdam, she claims that “Youtube filtered my channels to keep them from getting views.”
“There is no equal growth opportunity on YOUTUBE or any other video sharing site, your channel will grow if they want to!!!” Aghdam apparently wrote.
Aghdam appears to have identified as Persian, vegan and an animal rights activist.
Videos she posted on YouTube appear to have been removed.
YouTube employees were evacuated from the building following the shooting yesterday, which was reported just after 12:45 p.m. Several described scenes of people running or taking shelter in their offices in posts on Twitter.
“No one goes to work thinking that this will happen to them around their meal time, but it did,” San Bruno Mayor Rico Medina said at Wednesday’s briefing.
According to a YouTube statement, the shooter never entered the building “thanks to the security protections in place.” YouTube said the shooter entered the exterior courtyard where the shooting occurred through a parking garage.
Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital received three patients from the shooting, including a 32-year-old woman initially listed in serious condition, a 27-year-old woman initially listed in fair condition and a 36-year-old man listed in critical condition.
The two women were released from the hospital Tuesday night, while the male patient remains hospitalized in serious condition, a hospital spokesperson said Wednesday morning.
A fourth person was also transported to a hospital with an ankle injury following the incident, but no gunshot wounds, according to San Bruno police.
Mountain View police released a statement Wednesday saying that patrol officers had contacted Aghdam after checking the license plate of her car, which was parked in the 600 block of Showers Drive, and determining that she was listed as missing and at risk.
Aghdam told officers she had come to the area to stay with family and was living in her vehicle while she looked for a job. She did not mention YouTube and remained calm and cooperative during the conversation, police said.
Police had two followup conversations with her family to inform them that she had been located and spoke with her father and brother. Neither of them mentioned any threat to YouTube during the initial conversation or said that Aghdam was in possession of weapons, police said.
In a second phone call, the father told police that Aghdam had made a series of videos on YouTube and was upset with the company. He said she might be in the area for that reason.
“He did not seemed concerned that she was in the area, and wanted to simply let us know that may have been a reason for her move up here,” Mountain View police said in the statement.
“Once again, at no point did her father or brother mention anything about potential acts of violence or a possibility of Aghdam lashing out as a result of her issues with her videos. They remained calm throughout this second phone call,” police said.