A natural gas leak in the Outer Mission district Monday morning prompted a shelter-in-place advisory at two nearby schools, police said.
School officials at Balboa High School and James Denman Middle School kept students indoors after a construction company ruptured a 2-inch high-pressure transmission gas pipeline, according to officials with Pacific Gas & Electric Co. and the fire department.
The pipeline has since been capped, and no one was injured, authorities said.
The construction company, Precision Engineering, had been digging in the 200 block of Seneca Avenue when its equipment struck the pipeline, officers at the scene said.
Six PG&E customers temporarily lost gas service, said Katie Romans, a spokeswoman for the utility.
Homes in the area were not affected by the shelter-in-place advisory, Romans said.
The leak caused some concern at the school.
“A fellow officer called me and said, ‘My kid goes to that school, do I need to come pick him up?’” police Officer Jeff Smethurst said.
Smethurst’s answer to the concerned parent was “No.”
Bay City News contributed to this report.