The lily-white “Bachelor” franchise has gotten a lot of flack for being about as diverse as a GOP convention. This season there were four black contestants vying for Sean Lowe’s hand, and two of them survived more than a few shows.
But now a woman named Misee Harris has launched a social media campaign to be the first black “Bachelorette.” She’s a gorgeous 28-year-old pediatric dentist from Tennessee who does charity work, loves sports and will probably look awesome rappelling down a mountain in Outer Mongoliawith someone from the final six. According to Jezebel, she was actually chosen to be a contestant on “The Bachelor” but bowed out for fear of being the “token” black chick.
She will face many hurdles in her quest, the main one being that most “Bachelorettes” are chosen from previous “Bachelor” runners-up. But, is this not an unfair grandfather clause? Give the woman a break. Go to her Facebook page to show your support.
- Jason Segel and Michelle Williams have broken up.
- Chris Browns says that hitting Rihanna is his “greatest regret.”
- Harry Styles took a painful hit to the crotch when a shoe was lobbed on stage at a One Direction concert.
- Bobby Brown has been given a 55-day jail sentence for drunken driving.
- Justin Bieber got a new tattoo, and this time its an “X” on his left arm.
- Actress Noureen DeWulf (“Anger Management”) is 29.
- Country singer Jason Aldean is 36.
- Actress Tasha Smith (“Jumping the Broom”) is 42.
- Actor John Turturro is 56.
- Singer Cindy Wilson of The B-52s is 56.
- Comedian Gilbert Gottfried is 58.
- Entertainer Bernadette Peters (“The Jerk”) is 65.
- Actor Frank Bonner (“WKRP”) is 71.
- Actor Gavin MacLeod (“The Love Boat”) is 82.
- Architect Frank Gehry is 84.