web analytics

McCarthy healthy, ready for normal offseason

Trending Articles

AP File Photo
Put me in

Pitcher Brandon McCarthy is ready for a normal offseason after being medically cleared this week to resume his regular routine, less than three months after being struck in the head by a line drive and undergoing emergency brain surgery.

“Everything’s good,” McCarthy said by telephone Thursday. “This last month I have taken the rest part very seriously. I have a couple little projects I’ve picked up, I read — I’m actually really good at being lazy. It kind of worked out well timing wise.”

McCarthy, a free agent right-hander who was the A’s Opening Day starter last March in Tokyo, spent Monday and Tuesday undergoing extensive evaluations by renowned concussion expert, Dr. Michael Collins, at the University of Pittsburgh. He returned to his Dallas-area home Wednesday and was cleared by Collins to begin working out.
“Today I’ll start doing something, easing in and starting the program they gave me,” McCarthy said. “Next week I’ll be heading back to where I usually work out.”

McCarthy took a line drive to the right side of his head off the bat of the Los Angeles Angels’ Erick Aybar on Sept. 5.

The 29-year-old McCarthy sustained an epidural hemorrhage, brain contusion and skull fracture on the play, then underwent a two-hour surgery at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco. After the frightening ordeal, the club initially referred to McCarthy’s situation as “life-threatening.”

Now, he checks in with Dr. Collins once a week to let him know that everything is going well, or if something seems a little off. McCarthy’s concussion symptoms have subsided, but he still has to use caution and take notice of everything when exerting himself.

The AL West champion A’s have received regular updates on McCarthy’s condition, and he could still be a good option to re-sign as long as the medical reports remain positive.

Click here or scroll down to comment

In Other News