Out of the Dumpster and into the fire? Actually, no.
A homeless man was injured this morning after some garbage caught on fire around him while he slept, Fire Department Spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said. Early reports of a person injured climbing out of a burning Dumpster turned out to be untrue.
The fire at 22nd and Bartlett streets was reported about 10 a.m. by a caller who told the Fire Department that a person was climbing out of a burning Dumpster. As it turns out, the victim was sleeping in a wheelchair behind a restaurant where there were garbage bins and trash strewn about, Talmadge said.
The fire was believed to have been started by a cigarette, she said.
The man was taken to the hospital and treated for burns to his foot. No other nearby structures were damaged.