web analytics

A jittery day after for LA school where gun went off in student’s backpack

Trending Articles

       
Students reunite with families after two people were injured in a shooting at Sal Castro Middle School in Los Angeles on Thursday, Feb. 1, 2018. (Al Seib/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

LOS ANGELES — At first, reports of gunshots at a Los Angeles middle school seemed likely to follow an all-too-familiar narrative: a young person opens fire on a campus with deadly consequences. Then a new story emerged, still harrowing but less grim — more of a cautionary tale about unintended consequences when children get their hands on guns.

The account that began to fill out Friday was that a 12-year-old girl at Sal Castro Middle School had brought a gun in her backpack and that the gun had gone off, firing a single round that injured two students shortly after the start of the school day.

“The physical evidence seems to support that it was discharged from within the backpack,” Los Angeles Police Department Deputy Chief Robert Arcos said.

The bullet first passed through the wrist of a 15-year-old girl, then struck the temple of a 15-year-old boy.

Both were hospitalized and listed in fair condition Friday. The boy had more serious injuries and had arrived vomiting blood. Doctors said that he had been lucky and that they were optimistic about a full recovery.

Two other students and one adult sustained minor injuries, but not from gunfire. They were treated and quickly released.

Officers took the 12-year-old girl into custody at the scene and confiscated an unregistered semiautomatic pistol. Prosecutors charged her with one felony count of being a minor in possession of a firearm and a second felony count of having a weapon on school grounds. The girl is scheduled to be arraigned Monday.

Key details that could have a bearing on how the case is handled and on future public policy have yet to emerge.

Police are still trying to determine how the girl obtained the weapon and what prompted her to take it to the school. While they describe her family as cooperative, they say she has an attorney and will not, at least for now, answer questions.

After the gunfire, administrators locked down the school, requiring students to remain all day in the classrooms they were in at the time. Some parents chose to pick up their children early; others waited to reunite at dismissal, which was closely supervised by a phalanx of police and school district employees.

Though L.A. schools are typically safer than those in surrounding neighborhoods, violence has spilled over. Six people have died on or just outside campuses since 1993.

Two earlier episodes also involved guns in backpacks. In 1993, a student died and another was wounded after being shot by a .357 magnum that another student was holding in his backpack. In 2011, two Gardena High students were injured when a gun inside a backpack discharged.

The latter episode prompted school officials to require daily random checks of students and their belongings. The policy isn’t always followed. Some parents have called for stepped-up security, while some activists and students want searches discontinued entirely, saying they do more to undermine student trust than they do to enhance school security.

Overall, officials seemed reassured enough that Thursday’s incident was isolated to resume a normal schedule Friday at the Westlake school, just west of downtown. Students moved from class to class as usual. They ate their lunch. They had breaks.

“They just had recess and kids were playing outside,” Pia Escudero, who directs crisis counseling and intervention services for L.A. Unified, said midmorning. “Many eyes are watching children.”

Officials were concerned about school staff as well as students. Castro Principal Erick Mitchell announced that substitutes would be available for any teacher who felt unable or unwilling to work Friday. One person who accepted the offer was the teacher in the first-period science classroom where the gun went off.

Counseling for students and families had begun Thursday. On Friday, a team of 30 counselors descended on the school complex, which includes adjacent Belmont High and a parent center that serves both schools.

Some parents and students needed reassurance.

Guadalupe Segura placed her hand on her heart as she watched her daughter walk onto campus Friday morning.

“I’m sad,” she said. “I’m bringing her here to the school alive, and I don’t know what will happen to her between now and when she comes home.”

Click here or scroll down to comment