web analytics

German police say Muenster attacker acted alone, had no political motive

Trending Articles

       

MUENSTER, Germany — German police said Sunday that they have no reason to believe the man who rammed his van into a crowd in Muenster, Germany, Saturday had any accomplices.

Immediately after the attack, there were reports that there were other people in the vehicle who had fled the scene.

But police said Sunday that they now assume the driver acted alone.

Several of the more than 20 victims injured in Saturday’s van attack in the western German city of Muenster remained in critical condition, a local police spokeswoman.

Two people were killed and several more were injured in Muenster Saturday when a 48-year-man drove a van into a crowd before committing suicide.

German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer, alongside other state and local officials, arrived in Muenster at midday on Sunday to inspect the scene of the crime.

“This cowardly and brutal crime has greatly affected us all,” Seehofer said.

The premier of the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, Armin Laschet, was also present, and said that Saturday had been “a horrible, tragic day for the people of Munster.”

Meanwhile, Herbert Raul, the state’s interior minister, said that the driver of the van was “in all likelihood” a German-born lone attacker and not a refugee.

Police investigators were still trying to learn the man’s motive. They said there was no sign of a political motive for the attack.

Prosecutors said the suspect had been known to them, but only for minor infractions.

At the site of the attack, just in front of a popular local restaurant, restaurant workers joined other mourners lighting candles and laying flowers for the victims.

Click here or scroll down to comment