Former Redwood City baseball coach pleads no contest to molesting player

A former baseball coach pleaded no contest Tuesday to child molestation and sexual assault charges stemming from an investigation that began after he was found fellating a 14-year-old boy, San Mateo County prosecutors said.

Julio Edgardo Ortiz, 37, was arrested in September 2016 after a California Highway Patrol officer found him at Vista Point No. 3 on Interstate Highway 280.

Ortiz and the victim were in a parked car with the engine running, and prosecutors say he was orally copulating a teenage boy when the officer checked inside.

Investigators say the Menlo Park man met the victim two years earlier when he was coaching baseball at a Redwood City elementary school.

Four more victims came forward eventually, including a woman who was assaulted when she brought her child to school for a parent-teacher conference.

“She got there early so she was just talking a walk on the field, so he came up and grabbed her and shoved his hand down her pants,” District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.

“You don’t see that much, where there’s assault of a child as well as an adult,” Wagstaffe said.

On Tuesday, Ortiz pleaded no contest to continuous sexual molestation, lewd acts on a child by force or fear, lewd acts on a child 10 years younger than the defendant, lewd acts on a child under 14, contacting a minor to request child pornography, and digital sexual penetration of an adult woman by force or fear.

Ortiz is facing 50 years in prison when he returns to court for sentencing on March 2. He remains in custody on $4 million bail.

Defense attorney Monica Toole could not immediately be reached for comment on Ortiz’s behalf.

Bay City News
Share
Published by
Bay City News

Recent Posts

Will native Americans finally get a cultural center in San Francisco?

Last week, the sound of beating drums echoed within City Hall as Native Americans performed traditional dances and songs. The…

3 hours ago

Now is the time for Pelosi to embrace Medicare for all

A little over a year ago a resolution was introduced to the central committee of the San Francisco Democratic Party…

4 hours ago

‘Moonlight’-maker Jenkins follows Oscar win with elegant ‘Beale Street’

Barry Jenkins, whose glorious “Moonlight” won three Academy Awards including best picture, did a simple thing to follow up. On…

5 hours ago

Dec. 19-20: Winter Walk, Home Alone with SF Symphony, Nat Keefe Concert Carnival, SF Camp Fire Benefit Show, H.E.R., Jackson Galaxy, Golden Girls Live!, Beach Blanket Babylon, Cults

WEDNESDAY, DEC. 19 Winter Walk: The holiday pedestrian plaza presented by Union Square Business Improvement District and Off the Grid…

5 hours ago

Bernstein: NCAA Tournament is in reach for USF Dons basketball

A few weeks after wrapping up the 2017-18 season, University of San Francisco head men's basketball coach Kyle Smith challenged…

5 hours ago

SF says ‘yes’ to RV bans

The City’s transit agency is telling RV dwellers to drive off into the sunset. It’s a major reversal for the…

10 hours ago