Musician Michelle Shocked offered an apology for her ugly anti-gay diatribe Sunday at Yoshi’s San Francisco after news broke earlier Wednesday that the rest of her U.S. tour had been canceled.
KQED reported that it received a statement from the singer offering an explanation for Sunday’s tirade.
“I do not, nor have I ever, said or believed that God hates homosexuals [or anyone else],” the statement said. “I said that some of His followers believe that.”
Shocked continued, “When I said ‘Twitter that Michelle Shocked says God hates faggots,’ I was predicting the absurd way my description of, my apology for, the intolerant would no doubt be misinterpreted.”
Meanwhile, every upcoming venue has yanked her scheduled performances, and according to the Huffington Post a petition is going around to also get her European dates pulled.
Shocked, um, “shocked” the S.F. audience when she said “God hates faggots” and that gay marriage was going to destroy the world — especially since she has been supportive of progressive causes, including Occupy Wall Street.
But apparently this sentiment from the singer is nothing new. In 2011, according to the Gambit weekly newspaper in New Orleans, Shocked described herself as “the world’s greatest homophobe” while playing the Wild Goose Festival in North Carolina.
- Miley Cyrus posed for photos with her gigantic engagement ring firmly back on her left hand.
- “Mad Men” co-stars Alexis Bledel and Vincent Kartheiser are engaged.
- TMZ reports that although Lindsay Lohan was sentenced to 90 days in lockdown rehab, no such thing exists in New York. That means she might end up in jail after all.
- Bobby Brown began his 55-day jail sentence for a DUI this week. Too bad he didn’t have LiLo’s lawyer!
- Katy Perry and John Mayer have reportedly broken up -- again.
- Musician Deryck Whibley of Sum 41 is 33.
- Britney Spears ex Kevin Federline is 35.
- Comedian Rhys Darby is 39.
- TV personality Ananda Lewis is 40.
- Actress Cynthia Geary (“Northern Exposure”) is 48.
- Actor Matthew Broderick (“Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”) is 51.
- TV personality Rosie O’Donnell is 51.
- Actor Gary Oldman (“The Dark Knight Rises”) is 55.
- Rocker Eddie Money is 64.
- Actor Timothy Dalton (“The Living Daylights”) is 69.