Forget what’s happening with Israel and Gaza: A Twitter war has broken out regarding Paris Hilton’s new shop for bags and accessories near Saudi Arabia’s holy site of Mecca.
There are a few things about Hilton that don’t sit well with devout Muslims, like that sex tape and her rampant materialism. So having her chintzy infidel wares available in the same area as the religion’s holiest shrine just ain’t flying.
“Historic religious sites in Medina are being destroyed, while Paris Hilton opens a new store in Mecca mall,” one outraged detractor tweeted. So far, nobody has officially called for her head, although perhaps even the extremists know that there’s not much going on inside it anyway.
Liz AND Lindsay
Lindsay Lohan’s debut in Lifetime’s biopic of the tempestuous relationship between Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, “Liz & Dick,” is set to premiere on Sunday.
“Don’t miss [it],” says The Hollywood Reporter, but not because it’s Emmy material. No, more like it’s the replacement for “Showgirls” in the so-bad-it’s-good category.
“Drinking games were made for movies like this,” writes the publication’s TV reviewer. “And the best part is that it gets worse as it goes on, so in the right company with the right beverages, ‘Liz & Dick’ could be unbearably hilarious toward the tail end of the 90-minute running time.”
Get that bar stocked up!
Filmmakers are legally obligated to have animal welfare advocates on set to make sure that no animals are harmed during the filming. Off the set is a different story. Twenty-seven animals, including sheep, goats and horses, died during the making of “The Hobbit” in New Zealand, a spokesman for the film company has confirmed.
A miniature horse named Rainbow had to be euthanized after it broke its back due to a fall, and other deaths were blamed on bad feed, drowning and poor housing.
The animals were kept on craggy land filled with sinkholes, dangerous bluffs and various other “deathtraps.” You can bet that PETA will be out in full force protesting the movie’s premiere in mid-December.
Got scoops or Bay Area celebrity sightings? Email email@example.com.
- Scarlett Johansson was seen getting lovey-dovey with a tall, dark mystery man who “may have been speaking French.”
- The crowd went nuts at the American Music Awards when MC Hammer joined a Hammer-panted Psy for a “Gangnam Style”-“2 Legit 2 Quit” mashup.
- Kristen Stewart has signed on for a “Snow White And the Huntsman” sequel, but — you guessed it — Rupert Sanders will not be directing this time.
- Donald Trump admits he has never seen a psychiatrist.
- Bruce Jenner insists his marriage to Kris is rock-solid despite divorce rumors.