The father and son arrested last week in connection with the shooting death of a 33-year-old man in Potrero Hill will not face murder charges, according to the District Attorney’s Office.
An investigation into the slaying of Prince Johnson last Monday led police to arrest Jabar Hickman, 42, and his son 25-year-old son Carneil Hickman-Butler on suspicion of murder. But the District Attorney’s Office has since decided not to charge the pair.
Prosecutors did not say why they made the decision.
Johnson died June 29 at San Francisco General Hospital from a gunshot wound to the shoulder. He was found bleeding earlier that day in the 1000 block of Connecticut Street, where the Potrero Hill housing projects are located.
“He was a great young man,” Johnson’s brother Euphrates Hall told the San Francisco Examiner.
Hall said Johnson “had issues like everybody else” but was a beloved brother of nine siblings and father of two children.
The evening after Johnson was shot and killed, officers arrested Carneil Hickman-Butler without incident in the Western Addition when the car he was in matched a suspect description sent out over police radio.
Then early June 30, Jabar Hickman was arrested when officers served a search warrant at an apartment on the same block of Connecticut Street where Johnson was found suffering from a gunshot wound the day before.
Hickman-Butler was released from County Jail last Wednesday. Hickman is also out of custody as of Friday, though he faces two unrelated felony charges for being a felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition.
He pled not guilty to both charges in court last Thursday and is scheduled to appear before a judge again July 16.